I'm a BASSIST/SONGWRITER/STORYTELLER/SINGER
searching for a committed, serious, dedicated, and badass
(both electric and acoustic guitar) who's into haunting style voicing
as well as singing to form something different, something unique,
a one of a kind music duo with me.
Hello everyone, I hope all is in a good way with you.
I know this is kind of long so please bear with me. I'm big on details, being clear and upfront with who I'm searching for and what I'm looking to create and build. This is what I'd like to create BUT I would also like to work with you and create something that both of us will like and be proud of. Don't let the half gray beard fool you, I'm not that old haha. Plus, I may do something a little different with it for when we become a duo and start performing. Not shave it but darken parts of it.
Below you will find information on -Who I'm looking for, is it you? -What I'm hoping to create and build with you -What I'm not looking for -Links to song styles and ideas -And a link to images of the tribal/earthy look I'd like to create with you.
- I'm a bassist, songwriter, singer, storyteller, performer, recording artist, and a multi-instrumentalist (piano/guitar/percussions) but, my main instrument is and always will be my bass. I'm located in the DMV (MD/DC/VA) and prefer someone in this area.
- I'm NOT looking for a "gun for hire" situation. I'm looking for someone permanent. Someone that will call this her home. You and I will be the sole creators of everything, sole songwriters. Everything that happens concerning the duo will be our decision and ours alone. We can talk about hiring two musicians as our backup band when we start to perform live (drums and keyboards). If we decide to have a backup band, I have a badass drummer set up when we play in the NY/NJ/CN area. I have a drummer in mind for when we play here in MD/DC/VA. I also have a few places that will book us once we're ready, including the Ladybug Music Festival in Wilmington DE and the Hexenfest Festival of Music, Myth, and Magic in Geyserville, California as well as many bands and musician friends that will help us along the way.
- I'm looking for a certain style, attitude, and sound. Someone who's ready to kick the world in the ass. Someone with energy, great vibes, someone who is animated while performing. Connecting with the crowd while performing is very important. Sometimes interacting with the crowd as well. Be willing, and able to perform with backing tracks (minus mixes) during some songs.
- I'm looking towards creating more of a "Tribal/Earthy" look. (for a better idea see the tribal/earthy link below) BUT creating our own unique style and look. I personally like a lot of leather, dark colors, long flowy things, and maybe some face paint. I'd also like for us to look similar. Not exactly the same but wear similar colors, leather, paint and/or symbols/markings (also see Tribal/Earthy link below) so people will see that we're a duo. Our backup band (if we decide to have one) will wear all black so they can blend in with the stage props. I have many ideas for a stage show, setup, props, and lighting. I don't want us to be typical or basic or be just another duo. I'm into storytelling, visual, sound, and some choreography. Not just stand there and play. I want people to talk about us with amazement long after they leave.
- I'm NOT interested in the occasional jam session or a once a month rehearsal and show. I'm NOT looking to form a tribute/cover band. I'm NOT looking to form a full band and I'm NOT interested in the party scene situation or playing in hole in the wall clubs. I'm in this for real and for the long run. I want us to become an established, working, performing duo. Work on originals and some covers, work on a stage show, get together twice a week, once for scheduled rehearsals that we can both agree on for a day/time/place and a once a week meeting and hang out to discuss and decide on things important that will help us grow and be a better duo. Eventually, start performing shows a couple of times a month while writing/recording our original music between shows. Then we can add more shows as we go. That's why I'm looking for a "committed, serious, dedicated, badass" singer/songwriter/guitarist.
- I'm NOT into drugs of any kind and want nothing to do with them. Especially during rehearsal or performing. (medical reasons can be overlooked). If you enjoy your drink, that's awesome as I enjoy my red wine and hard cider but I personally don't drink while rehearsing or performing. I might have one drink before a show to calm my nerves haha but that's all. I drink a lot of water during shows. You are welcome to have drinks but please don't get drunk or get to the point that it starts to affect your awesome talents in a negative way.
- If you have a job as I do, this is perfectly ok as long as you can still dedicate the time needed for our duo and it won't make things overly difficult for you. I know things tend to happen, work happens, bills happen, life happens and so on. There are times where other things in life need attention so I totally get it.
- For now, I was thinking 50% originals and 50% covers to start off with until we have enough of our own original music to carry us. I've already released two full-length albums and I've been working on songs for my next album but I'd love to start writing songs with you and start working on our first of many albums.
Please Note: The style of music I've been writing (my first two albums) is a mix of Jazz, Rock, New Age, World, Classical, Contemporary, and Ambiance blended together. For the duo, the sound I'm hoping to create with you would be a little of the same BUT leaning more towards a heavier sound with a little spice of smooth emotional vibes and some haunting vocals mixed in.
- As far as cover songs, I don't want to do the same songs that everyone else already plays. I'm tired of hearing the same songs over and over. I want to do song's that no one else does but still known. Also, I'd like to share vocals with you. You sing some songs, I'll sing some songs and we both sing song's together. Kind of like the band Lacuna Coil but doing so in our own style and sound. Something unique.
Example: (please listen to each song to get an idea of what I'd like to do). If we covered any of these songs, The song "Trip The Darkness" by Lacuna Coil, we share vocals. Or the song "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran, you sing the beginning and the ending, we sing the rest of the song together. I sing low vocals, you sing high vocals. Or the song "Run" by Wendy Rae Fowler, you sing the lead vocals and I do chanting. Or the song "Jóga" by SKÁLD, we both sing together. Or the song "What Have You Done" by Within Temptation, we share vocals. Or the song "Distractions" by Zero 7, you'd sing low vocals, I'd sing backing harmony during the first half, then we'd switch, I sing low vocals and you'd go nuts with the high vocals.
Please Note: The songs above are to give you an idea about how I'd like to share vocals with you. We can mix things up as well. I want your opinions, thoughts, and ideas. I'm not the best singer but I can sing high and low as well as mimic some vocalists. I'm still looking for my voice. Will you help me?
- The songs below are a combination of song ideas for the style and sound I'd like to create with our originals but creating a new sound and style of our own with the heavier sound and a little spice of smooth emotional vibes I mentioned above. Not necessarily following these bands/artists themselves but the sounds and attitudes of the songs I picked. I would be totally ok with covering any of these songs that I've linked above and below but I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas. Please listen to each song at least halfway to get the full idea.
- Think,...Jem (24 or Come on Closer) meets Lacuna Coil (Swamped or humane or Nothing Stands in Our Way ) meets Zero 7 (Distractions or Spinning or In The Waiting Line) meets Within Temptation (Mother Earth or Aquarius or Stand My Ground) meets SKÁLD (Rún or Gleipnir) meets Radiohead (Subterranean Homesick Alien or How To Disappear Completely) meets Holy Fawn (Arrows or Dark Stone) meets Portishead (Sour Times or Threads) meets Halestorm (I Am The Fire or Dirty Work) meets Mazzy Star (California or Into Dust) meets Flyleaf (Heavy Prey or I'm So Sick)
-These are the voicing style vocals I'd love to add to our music,.... (Haunting, Siren, Vocals)
With That Said: The music I just shared is NOT a must do style and it doesn't have to be the exact sound. It's just to give you an idea of the direction I'd like to go. If you can sing and play guitar to any of the above songs that would be awesome BUT, I want to hear YOUR vocals, YOUR style, YOUR sound, YOUR playing. I want you to be YOU.
(- NO Country -NO Pop -NO Rap -NO Political Bullshit -NO Druggies -NO Achololics -NO Controlling Significant Others -NO Hate -NO Drama)
- Would prefer that you have your own gear. This will help us move forward a lot quicker. If not, maybe we can work on that together.
- While I do have some lighting gear and set up and will be getting a PA system soon, We will be starting and creating this from scratch and building our duo from the ground up as we want it to be so there is no income YET but give it a little time. Once we start performing live and we record our first of many albums, this will change. Just like starting a business from the ground up. Again, the reason why I'm looking for a "committed, serious, dedicated, badass" Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist. Someone like me who's ready to dedicate the time and energy into creating a badass duo to call OURS. I really hope that's you. Making money doing what we love is great but I also love creating, writing, and playing music because it's in my blood.
- If you'd like to learn more about me, please feel free to ask anything you wish. You can also read my bio above to learn about my music history. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on all of this. I want you to bring your biggest creating block to the table and lets put our heads together and create something so badass awesome that we freak ourselves out.
Please Note: I prefer that you have no other projects so you can dedicate all your time, energy, and focus to help create this and be one half of this unique, never before seen duo. If you already have a project I'd still like to talk with you to see what we can work out.
~For a better idea of the look /style I'd like to create, click "Tribal/Earthy" to view a few images~
~I want to create an earthy, free spirit, loving, laid back vibe and feel combined with a Tribal/Viking kick your ass look and attitude. We can work together on this as well.
~Please contact me here at "CONTACT ME" Or at JosephBlackfeather@yahoo.com
~If you'd like to listen to previews from my first two albums, click here "My Music" but please keep in mind that I want to write music a little heavier than my past albums.
~I'm Looking Forward To Hearing From You and creating awesomeness with you,... Joseph